Monastery ruins of Rüeggisberg

From here westwards, first along the wooded banks of the river Schwarzwasser to the “Lindenbach” wood-bridge where we climb up the steep banks, then on open fields past the farmstead “Granegg” up to Henzischwand. Further on, first northwards, then on a field path towards the west through the marshland to Elisried.

Schwarzenburg village street

Here, we turn left onto the paved road and later come to the main road which we cross near the inn “Schönentannen” . On the left side we take a field path ascending over a chain of hills to Schwarzenburg. We walk through the place as far as the railway station. In the village centre, somewhat hidden, is the reformed church Maria Magdalena. Its 17th century tower has a tapered diameter, giving it a peculiar aspect. The Schwarzenburg castle stands at the edge of the village. It was built in 1573-75 and housed the district administration until 2010.