We start our walking tour to the east of the railway station (405m) of the capital of the canton of Thurgau. Frauenfeld numbers 20’000 inhabitants. Soon, the route leaves the town area and leads eastwards up an incline over fields and through woods. In the wooded “Stälibuck”, we follow the forest instruction path “Mühletobel”, cross the road of Dingenhart near a resting site, and after a climb of one and a half hour, we reach the highest point of the “Stälibuck” (653m). The iron Stälibuck tower, built 1907, stands beside a resting site with barbecue. Climbing the 148 steps to the highest platform of the 27m high lookout tower, we are 250m higher than the town and have a magnificent panoramic view to Frauenfeld, the Black Forest , the Alpstein mountains, and as far as the Bernese Alps.
We descend to Dingenhart, cross the road Thundorf-Frauenfeld and on field and forest paths we come to the hamlet of Chöll with fountain and a half-timber house from 1745. We continue through woods and over fields to the hamlet of Sunnenberg. There, on a wooded summit of a hill, stands the castle of Sonnenberg, first mentioned on documents in 1242. After a big fire in 1595, it was rebuilt. Since 1678, it has belonged to the monastery of Einsiedeln, and was sold to a business concern in 2007. It is intended to re-open the restaurant after a renovation, and to let the castle chapel and the stateroom be used for weddings.
To the east of the castle, the path leads down through the wood, and in Kalthäusern and Weingarten, it crosses the road to Lommis (475m). Already from far away, we can see the spire of the church of St. James. First mentioned in 1214, this church is an important station for pilgrims of St. James. The original construction was pre-roman and was enlarged in the 12th-13th centuries, and altered in the 15th century. The church also has a burial chapel of the noblemen of Muntprat, and an Idda chapel. The artfully painted church with the beautiful altars is impressive. Near the St.James church, an agricultural road leads in an eastern direction and passes a big field cross. In 30 minutes, we come to the farmstead “Flügenegg”, a beautiful half-timber construction. We come to a magnificent way-post for the Way of St. James.
Church Saint James in Lommis
To Santiago, it is still 2’315 km, to Tobel just one, and we manage it in 15 minutes. In Tobel (523m), we cross the road Wil-Amlikon and after 100m, we come to the Commandery of the Knights of St. John, gray from age. It was founded by count Diethelm the First from Toggenburg as atonement for the fratricide on the nearby castle of Rengerswil near Wängi. In 1529, during the reformation, pictures and altars were destroyed. The knights of the order left the commandery, but soon returned. The present building dates from the year 1744. The task of the knightly order was to provide care for the pilgrims of St. James, and to nurse the sick among them.
The church belonging to it was dismantled in 1706 and rebuilt higher up beside the old peel tower from the 12th century. The peel now serves as bell tower. In 2007, the parish celebrated the 300th anniversary of their church of St. John. In 1809, the commandery became the property of the canton Thurgau who altered it and made of it a house of correction.